If I were to say that on Day 25 I realize the necessity of prepping food for the week, your response would be, “Duh.” I know it’s so obvious but it is so hard to make yourself do it. You need a solid 2-3 hours to get a good head start on the week. And you know how much prep I did for this week? Zero. Nada. Not a darn thing. Now it’s biting me in the butt. Or in the belly, I guess, because I’m so hungry and I have to make everything at every meal, everyday. It is no good. Do not be like me. Prep on the weekend. Or on a weekday. Or something. Nike was right, just do it.
As I was meal planning for the week I came across this recipe: Massaged Kale Salad with Pistachios, Cherries, and Grilled Flank Steak. Just read the name of that recipe one more time. Have you ever wanted to be kale so much in your life?
There are some days when making a salad like this sounds great. Ooolala, so fancy and I also have 5 zillion extra hours, let’s make this salad! I would love to eat this salad. The picture of it is mouth-watering. But this is the absolute last thing I want to make in my last week of the Whole30. For this salad you have to de-pit the cherries, shell the pistachios, make the dressing (Am I the only one that hates making dressings? Weird, I know.), then massage (literally) the dressing into the kale, then prep the grill, then prep the meat, then grill the meat, then slice the meat, then slice an avocado, then assemble it just so. Too much. This would have been a good recipe for Week 1. By Week 4 your just eating cold hotdogs and taking bites out of a whole zucchini.
Hopefully this week you’ll see some good and EASY recipes from me that don’t drive me back into the arms of donuts because I just don’t want to cook anymore.
Breakfast: (The usual)
- 2 Fried Eggs
- 1/2 an Apple
- 2 Slices of Deli Turkey
- Leftover Stuffed Peppers Stuffing
- 1/2 an Avocado
- 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter
- Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken – OMG, this is the first time I’ve put chicken in the crockpot. Where has this been all my life? It’s so fast. I forgot that I had a slow cooker recipe today until after lunch and I still had time to throw it together. I thought this recipe was ok. But my three year old loved it and asked that I make it for her birthday dinner.
- Broccoli Slaw – This was ok, too. But it was super fast to throw together. I think I just got a prepackaged broccoli slaw mix that wasn’t the best. I kept ending up with really fibrous bits while chewing. I think next time I’ll wait to make this with the mix from Trader Joe’s that people rave about so much.
- 1/2 an Avocado
- Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde – This actually doesn’t have much flavor at all, but our salsa options are pretty limited.
How We Felt:
We’re feeling pretty good. We might have hit TIGER BLOOD for us. I’ve been feeling really great during workouts and have been recovering great. I’m not achy. I don’t really sleep much but when I do sleep, I fall asleep super fast which isn’t how I used to be. My energy is great. I have all 5 kiddos home with me (because, you know, summer) and I’m amazed at how I don’t faceplant fall asleep in my bed with the clothes that I wore all day. Hmm, maybe there’s something to this Whole30.