We did it! Week 1 done! Phew. [A roundup of all the meals we ate this week is at the bottom of this post]
Today both Kraft and I had to venture out into the real world for a non-breakfast meal for the first time since starting the Whole30.
Kraft ate at Whataburger. He didn’t have a lot of choices. Brussel sprouts and green beans aren’t really snack-packable. He found out that Whataburger’s grilled chicken contains corn syrup. Isn’t that weird? But their burgers are just meat and spices so he had a burger patty and the lettuce and stuff.
I ate at Kerbey Lane. It was Olivia’s last day of school so I went out with her for a special lunch.
Olivia has a lot of food allergies so I’m used to being “that” person asking the waiter tons of questions and requesting specially cooked food. When I have to do it for her, I don’t mind. I’m a parent advocating for my child and I’m not embarrassed nor do I feel bad taking the time of a busy waiter/waitress. But for me doing the Whole30, I did feel a little silly.
As I searched the menu, I thought about ordering a salad but I didn’t want just oil and vinegar for the dressing and I had forgotten to bring some of my own. I could not bring myself to order the Bacon Cheeseburger without bacon…or cheese. It felt dumb. So I ordered the Jalapeño Bison Burger, bunless, minus bleu cheese (which I would have done anyway because I hate it), and with fruit instead of fries. Man, did I want some of those sweet potato fries.
I will have to say, those Kerbey Lane cooks did a fantastic job not making my meal look like a sad little hunk of meat on a huge empty plate. They folded up the bison patty in lots of lettuce and tomatoes and onions covered in hot sauce (I’m pretty sure it was Frank’s Hot Sauce which is compliant) and a decent pile of pickles on the side. And a little bowl of fruit. It was so pretty. I wish I had remembered to take a picture of it. Thanks Kerbey Lane Cooks!
- Leftover Breakfast Salad – I decided that I will not make this again, mostly because I think I would enjoy each ingredient that goes into this salad more if I just ate them all separately instead of all mixed up like this.
- 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter
- Handful of Cruciferous Salad Mix
Lunch: [not pictured]
- Kerbey Lane Bison Burger Patty with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions
- Side of Fruit
- Leftover Campfire Salmon and Veggies
- Carrot Sticks
- Last of the bag of Cruciferous Salad Mix
- Cauliflower Fried Rice – This is another recipe from Nom Nom Paleo and it was really, really good. 👍👍
How We Felt:
I’m still really dragging around 4pm. I’m not sure if it’s the Whole30 thing or just a life thing.
Guess what, guys??? We got through everything in that right crisper drawer (except one bag of Riced Cauliflower that we gave to a neighbor)! And even better, we didn’t turn in to kale. Surprise!
Week 1 Meal Roundup:
- Breakfast: BLT Salad and Cherry Limeade Smoothie
- Lunch: Tuna Salad and Mashed Sweet Potato and Applesauce
- Dinner: Steak and Roasted Broccoli and Cherry Tomatoes
- Breakfast: Kerbey Lane – Harvest Omelette without cheese, home fries, and fruit
- Lunch: Zucchini Noodle Bowl
- Dinner: Sheet Pan Fajitas, Mexican Cauliflower Rice, 1/2 an avocado
- Breakfast: Skillet Eggs and 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter
- Lunch: Leftover Tuna Salad, Carrot Sticks, Blueberries, Spinach, Hard-boiled Egg, and Sweet Potato and Applesauce Mash
- Dinner: Zoodles with Creamy Avocado Sauce, Whole Roasted Chicken, and Roasted Sweet Potato with coconut oil and cinnamon
- Breakfast: BLT Breakfast Salad
- Lunch: Leftover Sheet Pan Fajitas, Leftover Mexican Cauliflower Rice, and 1/2 an Apple
- Dinner: Asian Meatballs and Power Greens Salad with Almonds and Blueberries
- Breakfast: Zucchini Noodle Bowl
- Lunch: Skillet Eggs, 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter, 2-3 slices of turkey, handful of Almonds, Small Banana
- Dinner: Apple Cider Pulled Pork, Carrot Sticks, Sautéed Cruciferous Mix with Garlic, 1/2 an Avocado, Grapes
- Breakfast: Breakfast Salad, Handful of Power to the Greens mix, and 1/2 a Grapefruit
- Lunch: Leftover Shredded Pork, Leftover Meatballs, Zoodles, Handful of Blueberries, and 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter
- Dinner: Campfire Salmon and Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Breakfast: Leftover Breakfast Salad, 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter, Handful of Cruciferous Salad Mix
- Lunch: Kerbey Lane Bison Burger Patty with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions, and Side of Fruit
- Dinner: Leftover Campfire Salmon and Veggies, Carrot Sticks, Last of the bag of Cruciferous Salad Mix, Cauliflower Fried Rice