Today I finally came to terms with the fact that I insanely overbought greens from Trader Joe’s. I’d never shopped there before as they are relatively new to this area but I read post after post of Whole30 peeps raving about how easy their prepackaged salad mixes are. I was sold. Not sure what possessed me but this is what I have currently in our fridge plus we just finished 2 heads of romaine lettuce and a box of spinach. The drawer on the right has everything with a sell by date of 5/26. It’s not looking promising that we’ll be able to eat it all. I’ll have to give some to neighbors or maybe freeze? Hmm.
I will say my biggest fear starting the Whole30 was running out of food that is compliant. With 5 kiddos, it’s not easy to pop over to the grocery store so if we’re out of Whole30 food, hello water and lime. That being the driving force in my mind, when I was at Trader Joe’s I just started compulsively throwing multiple bags of anything that resembled a green in my cart with my 3 year old asking with each throw, “What IS that, Mama???”
I got their Cruciferous (there I go with that word again) mix, Power to the Greens mix, Broccoli Slaw mix, Cabbage mix, and Riced Cauliflower. If I stop posting it’s because we somehow managed to eat all of this before it expired and turned into kale.
- Skillet Eggs – This took 10 minutes to make and was delicious. Oh, and don’t worry overmuch about the pea tendril and leek thing. I just used plain ol’ white onions and plain spinach and it was still great.
- 1/2 an Apple with Almond Butter
Lunch: (Meal prep earlier in week was clutch, all this was already made)
- Leftover Tuna Salad
- Carrot Sticks
- Hard-boiled Egg
- Sweet Potato and Applesauce Mash
- Zoodles with Creamy Avocado Sauce (made sauce without the garlic because apparently Kraft’s a vampire and has something against raw garlic)
- Whole Roasted Chicken – shredded
- Roasted Sweet Potato with coconut oil and cinnamon
How We Felt:
Fine. Other than the hand wringing about the underground greens selling ring we’re going to have to start.